Share this article:
Hiring Logistics Professionals
The Up (and Downside) of a Buyers Market
Hiring "A" talent to fill a B or C level position can be an expensive
corporate mistake. Every day, we talk to candidates who say, "I just took
this job to hold me over. Please keep me in mind for any other
Even though today's candidate market is a buyers market, top logistics
professionals should be offered a full salary appropriate with experience and
background. If not, the overqualified candidate may accept a lower salary as
a stop-gap measure until the next job opportunity comes along with an
increased base salary and corporate recognition.
Corporate position is for an experienced Global Supply Chain Professional to
link worldwide locations.
- Budgeted salary level: $80,000 - $90,000 base plus bonus plus benefits
- Qualified Candidates:
- 2-3 Local candidates with 7-12 yrs experience
- Candidates' previous salaries ranged from $85,000 to $115,000 base plus
- Hire the right candidate.
- Do not expect the more experienced $115,000 base professional to be
satisfied with a $90,000 base.
- If a threat of other candidates in the pipeline would eagerly take this
salary then the offer is most likely not going out to the right candidate.
Suggestions on how to hire the right candidate:
- Have a written, detailed job description including realistic compensation
criteria before initiating a search
- Do not entertain candidates who have been living on a significantly higher
- One step backward for two steps forward is one thing BUT FOUR STEPS BACKWARD
will not work
- Do not be swayed with the current ability to hire an "A" candidate at a
significantly reduced salary. Times will change and you may risk losing the
"A" employee to the appropriate salary level and professional challenge in
the near future.
- If the current open position does not require a super-star but you find a
super-star candidate, consider opening a new search -- new job description,
gain approval for a new salary level, etc.
A buyers market today can change overnight. The objective is to hire the
right person in the right position to achieve long-term results. Follow the
above simple rules and you should be well on your way to building a strong
team of performers.
Dave Ricker is a senior recruiter with The SearchLogix Group based in
Atlanta, Georgia. He has over 20 years of successful, progressive
recruitment in the fields of Transportation, 3rd Party Logistics, Supply
Chain Management and Distribution/Transportation Technology.