The Network Security Officer is responsible for safeguarding data held by the bank. Working with business managers, the Information Security Officer and the Information Technology (IT) Manager, the Network Security Officer observes and monitors the security of websites, applications, computers, networks and databases. He is tasked with continual observation of the bank?s current information security posture to make recommendations to those involved on how to strengthen it. The Network Security Officer is also tasked with influencing company-wide security standards and procedures based on the prevailing bank policies. In addition he is tasked with review of any and all IT related solutions to be evaluated for their security posture prior to project approval and the continual follow up to assure that the agreed upon recommendations to strengthen the security posture of these solutions are being adhered to.
The Network Security Officer also assumes the role of project team leader which includes a wide range of tasks, including the assignment of responsibilities to other team members as it relates to a specific project. In this role the Network Security Officer ensures that all project related documents are complete, up-to-date and properly stored. In addition, this person understands cost-to-completion projections and plans the projects accordingly.
1. Primary responsibility in the development of network standards and operational procedures.
2. Primary responsibility in the planning, coordination and mitigation of all Audit, Penetration testing and Network Vulnerability assessment activities.
3. Primary responsibility in the monitoring, support and maintenance of the Security Information Event Manager and File Integrity Monitoring platforms.
4. Primary responsibility in the monitoring, support and maintenance of Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention security controls.
5. Primary responsibility for the development and maintenance of all network security related documents (i.e. Architecture diagrams, Security Solution Matrix, etc.)
6. Backup responsibility for installation, maintenance, management and troubleshooting of security controls, related networking equipment and applications not included as a part of his primary responsibilities such as: firewalls, network access control, virtual private network and other security controls and systems.
7. Perform other duties, as assigned, which fall within scope of responsibility.
• A thorough knowledge of personal computer hardware and software, local and wide area networks systems.
• A thorough knowledge of new developments related to information security and project management.
• A thorough knowledge of common security controls (i.e. Firewalls, IPS, SEIM, VPN, etc)
• Office Applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Project)
• Network Diagnostic (Wireshark, Solarwinds, MRTG, TCPdump, WinDump)
• Network Equipment (Cisco, HP)
• Network Protocols (TCP, UDP & IP)
• Operating System Technology (Windows Server 2003/2008, VMware, Linux)
• Workstation Technology (Windows XP, Windows 7)
• Security Discovery (NMAP, Nessus)
• Security Controls (McAfee NSP, Checkpoint R75, Checkpoint SPLAT, Nokia IP, Juniper, Trustwave Mirage)
• Security Monitoring (Tripwire Log Center, Tripwire Enterprise, SNORT)
• VPN Technology (Checkpoint VPN-1, Array SPX)
• CISSP or equivalent
• Ability to identify and diagnose problems related to computer hardware and software and to find effective solutions.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, vendors, contractors and the general public.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Effective problem solving techniques and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and perform effectively under pressing deadlines.
• Minimum 5 years experience managing a network
• Minimum 3 years experience in security systems architecture and implementation
• Minimum 2 years project management or working as team lead
• Bachelor?s degree (or equivalent in job experience) in computer science or related field and ten years experience in network architecture, information security architecture and support and project management.